Zucchini is one of those summer vegetables that not many are fond of (including me). It’s like tofu which works pretty well in most dishes but is hardly a star on its own. As this incredibly versatile vegetable does not have a very strong flavour, it can be eaten raw in salads, fried, baked (in cookies and cakes) or even grilled.
When Zucchini meets the protein and fibre-rich quinoa, the result, a Mediterranean-inspired delicacy, is a lip-smacking healthy dinner meal that will change the way you look at Zucchini. Just top it with hummus sauce and I am sure you will not ask for anything more!
For the fritters
Zucchini – 1 (finely grated)
Quinoa – 1 cup (cooked)
Almond Meal – 2 tbsp.
Egg – 1
Spring Onion – 2 (chopped)
Garlic – 1 (finely crushed)
Chia Seeds – 1 tbsp. (soaked)
Curry Powder – 1 tsp.
Cayenne Pepper – 1 tsp.
Paprika – ½ tsp.
Cumin – ½ tsp.
Turmeric – ½ tsp.
Sea Salt – 1 tsp.
Sesame Seeds – 1 tsp.
For the dressing (per salad)
For the Hummus Sauce
Chickpeas – 1 1/2 cup (Soaked and Cooked)
Olive Oil – ½ cup
Garlic – 3
Lemon Juice – 1 tbsp.
Red Chili Powder – ½ tsp.
Black Pepper Powder – ½ tsp.
Cumin Powder – 1 tsp.
Sesame Seeds – ½ cup
Coriander or Cilantro
1. In a large bowl thoroughly mix all the ingredients except almond meal and sesame
2. Now add almond flour and mix well till the mixture becomes smooth (it should be a little sticky)
3. Heat a skillet over medium-high flame and add a teaspoon of oil
4. Form a patty by flattening a spoonful of the mixture between your palms and then roll it on a plate of sesame seeds
5. Place the fritters on the skillet and shallow fry for 3-4 minutes on each side
1. Dry roast sesame seeds on a low flame till golden brown and then grind to a fine powder
2. In a blender add cooked chickpeas, parsley, spices and garlic and blend to a fine and smooth paste
3. Now add lemon juice, powdered sesame seeds and olive oil and blend again till everything mixes thoroughly
4. Your hummus sauce is ready
How to Serve:
Once the fritters and hummus sauce are ready, you can serve the dish in two ways:
Add the fritters to a colourful salad of cherry tomatoes, lettuce, grated carrots, avocado, and shredded cabbage along with a generous amount of salad dressing using the ingredients mentioned above. And if you are still wondering where to get all the ingredients, then visit Couponraja’s website to get the BigBasket coupons to save your big bucks on all your grocery shopping.
You can serve hot Zucchini Quinoa fritters with hummus sauce
PS: To make these fritters as crispy as possible, try to shed the Zucchini finely and squeeze out as much water as possible. For a healthier version, you can bake your fritters at 375°F for about 20 minutes