The 47th British Academy Film Awards (BAFTA) recently announced the winners at the Royal Opera House in London. The gala night saw sci-fi thriller ‘Gravity’ and historical drama ‘12 Years a Slave’ receive the coveted awards. The film Gravity stole the show by winning six awards of its 11 nominations including the Outstanding Film, Director (Alfonso Cuarón), Cinematographer (Emanuel Lubezki) and Best Special Visual Effects.
British-born actor Chiwetel Ejiofor beat nominees Christian Bale in American Hustle, Leonardo Dicaprio in The Wolf of Wall Street and Tom Hanks in Captain Phillips to win the Best Actor Award for 12 Years a Slave. Similarly, Australian-born Cate Blanchett won The Best Actress award for her role in Woody Allen’s Blue Jasmine. Blanchett beat Judi Dench in Philomena, Amy Adams from American Hustle, Emma Thompson in Saving Mr. Banks and Sandra Bullock in Gravity
The biggest appreciation for the evening was reserved for newcomer Barkhad Abdi, who won the Best Supporting Actor for his role as a Somali pirate in Captain Phillips. And Jennifer Lawrence won the Best Supporting Actress for her role in the film American Hustle. The highest honour, fellowship of the British Academy, was presented to Dame Helen Mirren. The glitzy award ceremony also saw Hollywood bigwigs like Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie, Leonardo DiCaprio, Oprah Winfrey, and Tom Hanks among a list of stars walking down the red carpet and mingling with their fans at BAFTA.
With just few weeks away for the Academy Award, would these winners and nominees wield influence on Oscars? Well, we have to wait and watch!
Here is the list of BAFTA Award winners:
- ‘12 Years a Slave’ received ‘Best film’ award,
- ‘Gravity’ received ‘Outstanding British’ film,
- Chiwetel Ejiofor ‘12 Years a Slave’ for Best Actor’,
- Cate Blanchett ‘Blue Jasmine’ for ‘Best Actress’,
- Barkhad Adbi ‘Captain Phillips’ received ‘Best Supporting Actor’,
- Jennifer Lawrence ‘American Hustle’ received ‘Best Supporting Actress’,
- Alfonso Cuaron received ‘Best Director’ award for film ‘Gravity’,
- ‘The Act of Killing’ received for ‘Best Documentary’,
- Eric Warren Singer and David O. Russell for‘American Hustle’ received award for‘Best Original Screenplay’,
- Steve Coogan and Jeff Pope ‘Philomena’ received award for ‘Adapted Screenplay’,
- ‘Gravity’ received award for ‘Best Cinematography’,
- ‘Gravity’ received award for ‘Best Music’,
- ‘Frozen’ received award for ‘Best Animated film’, and
- ‘The Great Beauty’ received award for ‘Film Not in the English Language’.