Civilization began to scale new heights after man discovered ways to tap and contain energy (and of course there is The Wheel & Fire that made it all possible). In his enthusiasm to show-off what he can do with the latest discovery, we have used and abused this valuable resource over several decades. Now, the time has come to stand back, take stock and employ countermeasures so that we don’t run out of juice, a.k.a. electricity, for our next generation, and thereafter. With the latest advancements, you can easily make use of the various bill payment offers to ensure a smooth and quick payment of your electricity bills.
As responsible citizen, you can help contribute to the society to save electricity by adopting simple changes in everyday lifestyle.
This will help in avoiding direct heat entering the room. Doing this will help to keep the room cool and reduce the time needed to keep the fan or air conditioner running during summers.
Use energy saving fluorescent bulbs instead of incandescent bulbs so that less power is consumed, thereby reduces your electricity bill.
Unplug all small appliances and electronic items such as TV, CD player, Telephone chargers etc. from the sockets when not in use.
Do not keep refrigerator/freezer door open for long hours as this causes the heat to dissipate from the fridge and consume more electricity to keep the fridge and freezer running in the optimal conditions.
It is best advised to get rid of the old appliances that were not built to work in the energy efficiency mode rather they were built only to work efficiently without being mindful of the electricity cost.
Use solar heaters instead of instant geysers/water heaters
Nowadays, solar panels have become a constant companion in most homes where it is also used at night in solar bulbs to light up the house thus reducing the cost.
8. Washing machines & dishwashers should always be run on full load to conserve water and electricity
9. Make sure that the lint in the washer dryer is removed from the filter so that it dries the clothes at a lesser temperature and time.
10. Where ever possible make use of cold water in your appliances in order that the electricity is not used to heat up for doing the dishes or washing the clothes.
11. Insulating your house using the correct materials helps a long way in conserving electricity; be it in winter when you are running the heater or in summer when you are running the air conditioner or fan.
Planting trees around the house to keep the air around house cool. This is not an instant fix, but rather a long term measure.
13. Keep refrigerator or freezer away from the walls in the house so that the air circulates around the fridge /freezer.
14. Clean or replace the filter in the air-conditioner periodically.
Paint the house in light/pastel colors in summer for cooling effect, and darker shades in winter in order to use the natural light to maintain the temperature of the house.
16. Install thermostats wherever possible so that the water doesn’t get over heated when unnecessary.
When not using a particular area in the house, make sure that the lights are turned off. Another way would be introducing motion sensor lights so that it only turns on when there is an activity in the house.
18. Install dipper and dimmer light switches in the house so that It doesn’t need more energy to light up the entire room.
Wherever possible, make sure that the windows are sealed for draught /vents so as not to allow the room to become cold in winter. Make sure that the windows are open in the morning and closed at night in the hot countries so that there is a good circulation of cool air within the house.
20. Conserve the heat within the house in cold countries by keeping the doors closed at all times in winters.